Waitress' Diary 18 - People come and go, never forget the original goal

-->Have been serving for almost half year. From the early stage of always being in a hurried and confused manner, now finally become better. 



At least I can manage to look properly and have some spare time to smile at customers, chat with neighbours, build up understanding with colleagues, and eventually (or just luckily) guess the right kind of beer to serve at the moment when the customer walks into the bar.

And really get to know all the artist I’ve met here.

All these above actually came from an unwitting incident, that one day I accidentally read Boss No.1’s Facebook id about looking for waitress. I simply replied, even without knowing him at all at that certain moment.

By replying to the invitation from the virtual world, here comes the noticeable change for my real life.

Working at an artist village, I have many chances to get to know artists from different part of the world. East Europe, Argentina, Brazil, Thailand, Japan, New Zealand and comes to Chile. Standing at the little spot behind the bar in an artist village in Taipei, I somehow travel to the world. They all came with shimmering curious eyes and warmth inside; however, one day they would eventually leave. 

Artists usually stay here for a 3-month project while living in Taipei and then create an art work which is related to their experience or interaction or concept inspired by their time here and Taiwan. Therefore, during these 3 months, it’s my chance to get to know them as well whilst they are trying to understand my island. Sometimes we chat, share ideas about art or life, sometimes they order food and I make them coffee. Occasionally we get the chance to know each other, and very often I find myself amazed and touched, not only by their work, but by the people, them.

The artists, people who share the same space with me for a season. Florencia from Argentina and Ana from Brazil, the cheerful enthusiasm from South America simply brightened the gray winter in Taipei. Spring time here went with Asian style, looks a bit conservative, yet with constantly changing mode and the passion beneath. Ken from Thailand and his gang brought the Fresh Air from the Hill (courtesy of their project name which I find very vivid and poetic). Mary-Louise and Andy from NZ witness the varied transition between spring and summer which I assume for sure this certain timing added some thought provoking ideas to their creation for cross-cultural work.

It has been almost 6 months, Taipei is nearly green and summer is almost around the corner. And I have been welcoming and also waving goodbye from time to time.

Sometimes it could be just unbearable, that one day we are still good friends and sharing life, and then next day, it’s probably going to be a good-bye which I can’t be sure whether I’d manage to see this person again in my life.

I remember my first idea of working in a café is to get to know people, useless curiosity; however, it’s just something which I can’t live without.

Just hoping that, no matter what happens, I would never forget my original goal.

It’s somehow like a journey, I don’t exactly departure, yet I’ve been going just about everywhere.

Comments

Popular Posts