France Trip Day 3 – No, we don't have doggy-bag! (2010/05/12)

-->
Paris is still miserably raining, which drives my faith “rain but tastes like wine” to be likely failing very soon.

Wednesday night is assumed not to be at home, since we are at a city which is famous for numerous food selections, plus staying at a Frenchy mood is my top priority, so we off to traditional French restaurant.

10 degrees outside along with cold breeze doesn’t weaken our appetite, well-prepared for night adventure. Arriving this restaurant called “A la Cloch d’Or” near Pigalle, old wooden style decoration makes me suddenly have a holiday feeling, maybe even like Christmas in my imagination. Surprisingly it’s pretty quiet tonight, probably the weather does have some effect; however to us it appears as a good news that we don’t need to stand in the cold wind begging for a good meal.

So many old portrait photos hanging on the wall, celebrities who were dine and wine here before, like actors, comedians and politicians. Interesting feeling of seeing the history of a single place, trying to read every face while I’m waiting for my food and imagining…like I could nearly hear the laughter, conversation, debate, joke, or even secrets long time ago.

Soon appetizer arrives, Filets de harengs fumés et marinés aux deux pommes (Smoked herring filets on potato and sweet apple slices) and Petit carpaccio de boeuf, roquette et copeaux de Grana Padano (Carpaccio of beef, salad and slices of Grana Padano cheese). My first time trying smoked herring, 2 thick slices of strong sea flavour, along with the sweetness and crunchyness of potato and apple, very tasty mixture melting in mouth. Beef Carpaccio for my carnivorous friend, tender beer is decorated with the mixture of olive oil and Grand Padano cheese, plus my all-time favourite green, roquette, definitely the best choice.

And we are only at the appetiser stage. Traditional French cuisine is famous for its great deal portion with complication and fine balance. After the first dish, it somehow makes me more look forward to the main course; however, on the other hand, just hoping my regular-size stomach can make me proud in this long-history classy restaurant.

Main course appears on the stage. Chef’s special “Blanquette de veau” and Tartare de bœuf de la Cloche d’Or (raw French beef tartar) seem like 2 considerable punches, well, happy punch at the same time of course. My first time tastes Blanquette, sweet and tender veal cooked with aromatic vegetables, such as onion, carrot celery and leeks. Veal is simmered in the stock for a long time, and then thickened with cream or flour for my immensely smooth adventure on this dining table. Beef tartar is also charming, I personally not really a meat lover; however, good quality meat is something I can never resist. Strong flavour of beef is finely balanced by the sourness and freshness of the caper and onion, definitely can not forget French Fries, crispy fries with soft beef would be the best tango couple.

After main course, I have to shamefully admit that I’m FULL.

My friend asks the owner (and also the gentleman who serves us) whether we can take our dessert home in an extreme polite way. Some conversation is going on in French, sounds lovely since I don’t understand a single word. And suddenly this enchanting melody becomes a bit severe, and then I hear this gentleman saying “NO, WE DON’T HAVE DOGGY BAG! DOGGY BAG, NO!” dramatically emphasizing his contempt with a slight American accent.   

I alarmedly find out that this gentleman takes my full stomach as an insult, or my attempt to take food home instead of enjoying with his service and atmosphere of this restaurant. Of course I surrender, not just because I actually do admire his faith in enjoying good food at a place where he is proud of, and also as a girl, I always magically have another stomach for my sweet tooth.

Fruit sorbet, the fresh and fruity taste pretty much makes me a new-born again, perfect ending. Witnessing us appreciating dessert at his restaurant finally brings the smile back to him. After a short chat, that I find out he is actually a former boxer, and this matter of fact does make me completely satisfied with my previous decision.

Outside is still freezing, while we smoke outside the restaurant, I can even smell the warm and sweet smell of Blanquette, and feel simply contented with all the good food I just tasted. This traditional French restaurant night is unbeatable, food, wine, and a hint of history and time. And of course don’t forget that gentleman with style that his insistence and pride in dining, makes me realise no matter what we do, as long as we have faith, to stubbornly persist in our view, would be charming!

By the way, I also find out that while we stand outside the restaurant for a cigarette after dinner, rain just stopped.




Note. The picture is courtesy of restaurant A la Cloch d’Or http://www.alaclochedor.com/

Comments

Popular Posts